Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 10" TS blades

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:26:03 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 10/11/2012 3:53 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: On Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:51:21 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote: On 10/11/2012 1:18 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:24:44 PM UTC-7, Upscale wrote: On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:34:10 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" You will find that ripping (cutting with te grain direction) will be much better with a rip blade. Never went the ripping blade route. I've always used a 60 tooth combination blade. Did fine for ripping and crosscut nicely on the veneered plywood. To each his own I guess. I might leave in a cross cut blade if I have one rip. Rarely use a rip for cross cuts, unless they are not so important. Rip blades do cut about twice as fast. Takes me less than a minute to change blades and just kind of do it without thinking. I doubt you can rip cherry with a cross cut very often without some burn. But as I said, to each his own. The trick to not changing blades is to use a combination or general purpose blade. I would not recommend cross cutting with a rip nor ripping with a cross cut blade. Now if you hav e 2 table saw, that might change considerations. IMNSHO combo blades are only approriate for basic cabinet work or other similar (good enough is OK) jobs and not the typical furniture pieces I am usually building. And even then only because the cabinet guys usually oversize their face frame rips and clean up the edges in bundles ganged up in the planer. If you believe that a "good" combo blade is only appropriate for basic cabinet work something was/is not right. I no longer own a jointer as I never used the one I had and I never over size a cut. I get what might be considered perfect cuts 98% of the time and sanding is most often not necessary other than to prep the cut surface to be consistent with the face surface for a consistent application of a stain or finish. Any tooth marks are pretty much non existent. I sell my work too and it is pretty intricate. I don't tolerate sub par results from my equipment and don't use another machine to clean up what another has not left done properly.

I don't dispute your claim. Sounds like you have a well tuned instrument (saw) and good technique.