Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Price for rough cherry?

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:03:29 PM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 10/11/2012 1:29 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: What is anybody paying for rough 4/4 cherry now days? West coast would be most relevant. 8 footers mostly 6+ inches wide. I have some huge stacks in the SF bay area and might want to sell some off... I need the space sooner than I can consume the wood. It is not top notch stuff, some knots and some checking in the stack I want to sell off. I could S2S1E the stuff but I rarely joint 8 footers so I gave it a try on my 8" PM jointer and it was not fun. I usually break down the rough first and then start surfacing. Would (wood) rather sell it rough. Use a 12" wide piece of 8' long 3/4" plywood as a rip sled on your TS, clamp the cherry to the sled and rip straight one edge of the cherry. Or as i do, rip straight with a track saw.

No prob doing the edge. The difficulty is making the first face flat on the jointer.

I learned proper method for squaring up rough lumber is first joint one face to make flat, joint one edge by putting flattened face against fence so you have face and egde at 90, plane other face in planer so now 3 sides correct, rip to width for 4th edge.

Easier done with a 2 or 3 foot piece than an 8 footer for that first face.