Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saga of the Sofa Table

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:56:12 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/10/2012 8:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:35:53 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

All that remains is few coats of shellac:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...20381907207842

Lookin' great, Swingy. Sure you don't want to try rubbing on some
satin Waterlox? The tung oil would pop that ray flake nicely, and it
leaves a hand like no other finish. You _want_ to touch it.

I've used Waterlox, and like it, but my favorite finish for my own
furniture is still shellac, sprayed on, because I can get it done much
quicker.

Given the times to mask/prep/clean the gun, the times are pretty much
the same. Butcha get to fondle the wood the whole time when you hand
rub a finish on. That table wouldn't take 10 minutes a coat to do,
and 3 or 4 coats would do it nicely.

I tend to cut corners a bit when building for my own consumption, mainly
because I fell compelled to focus my time and energy on current, ongoing
projects, both shop and construction, that other folks are paying me
good money to do.

Ditto, but not when it comes to (re)finishing. AFAIC, the finish
makes or breaks the product.

This sofa table, which I've been wanting to build for myself for a long
time, was no exception ... I've been in the midst of three remodel jobs,
as well as a small custom cabinet job, since starting this sofa table
project just a month ago.

Wow! That's a workload.

I've been really busy, too, but the rains are going to be starting
this weekend, maybe as early as tomorrow. Once that happens, 90% of
my handyman biz stops abruptly. And since I don't fix roof leaks, I'm
spared that joy. I hope to start to learn my new Green Monster (CNC
router) soonest. It may be a steep climb to the knee.

And both time, and energy, seem to be running out faster these days. ;0

I hear that. The scary thing is that I'm not even 60 yet...

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin