Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default 10" TS blades

On 10/11/12 12:49 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:13:29 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

He said some are thinner kerf versions, some are smaller tooth versions
(less sharpening), but many are the exact same blade as their marquee
lines except with different printing and no "slippery red"paint job.

If the ones in this pack are the latter, it is an exceptional deal. If
they are thinner kerf, even "Diablo" blades, they are still pretty good
for the price. The plate thickness is the real issue on those blade,
because the teeth with be great. But if they have a thin plate, they
will wobble too much and have a less that perfect cut.

Do you know about what plate thickness the "good" blades are?
I can pack a caliper, maybe make an actual measurement at Rockler.

Thx,
Will

You won't need a caliper. :-)
Just go look at the expensive full kerf blades and take note of how
thick their plates are. There are about 3 thicknesses in general... much
thinner than the kerf, by about 1/2; a bit thinner than kerf; and darn
near the same thickness as kerf.

The latter two will be much heavier than the thinner plate blades. They
will have no flex if you try to bend them. They will be much heavier.
They will have a high, long, bell-like tone if you hold them by the hole
and strike them with your knuckle.

The thinner plate blade will have a bit of flex when you try to bend it.
It will feel much lighter than you think it should. When struck with the
knuckle, the sound will be a lower pitched and shorter tone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--