Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Deck floor in basement?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 23:45:52 +0000, TheScottman
wrote:

I'm reasonably handy, and want to start finishing off my basement. One
part of the basement is really off level due to a bad pour of concrete
(not my fault). I'm thinking the best way to solve the problem is to
build a subfloor or a deck in this area. The area is approx 6' long x
12' wide. One of the 12' stretches has almost nothing to secure to
except for maybe 1.5' of concrete wall.

I have levels, hammer drill, saws etc. I just don't know exactly how to
put the floor together, and then how best to level/secure the floor.

I doubt you need much fastening. What's the worst that can happen if
it is floating? It can't fall.

There is a design for flooring called a floating floor. It has some
advantages, altho I can't remember what they were.

Having said that, if the ceiling height is adequate, I'd leave an air gap of
sorts between the concrete floor and new wood floor, to let the existing
floor breathe.
--
EA

I'd frame it out with taper in the 2 x 3s , Put some insulation
between them, at best, I'd use some construction equipment to hold it.
Then put the sub floor, etc.