Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need to open a DIEBOLD SAFE

On 2012-10-10, Doug Miller wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2012-10-10, Doug Miller
wrote:

[ ... ]

I don't know much at all about safes... but I do know a little
bit about math.

[ ... ]

cannot be repeated) or 100^3 = 1 million (if it can). Assuming
five seconds per try, with a standard 40-hour work week, the OP
could expect to finish trying them all by the end of June.

Five seconds per try is not practical.

I was just guessing. I believe I said that I don't know much about
safes. :-) So I'll take your word for it.

I saw that -- so I decided to put in a bit of my own experience
-- living with having to check (and sign off on) each safe at the end of
each day, even if it was not opened. Since my flex-time hours tended
towards the late end of the day, this was usually my task. (The
"checking" involves trying to open it without dialing the combination,
and when that fails, noting "Not Opened" across the "Opened" and
"Closed" columns and noting the time the check was performed. (Of
course, if the safe opens with the handle alone, and is not signed open
and closed, you call the security people. :-)

[...]

My own feeling is that it would be more like a minimum of 30
seconds, and likely 45 per try, which makes the time required
grow rather rapidly. :-)

Let's take the lower number. That means instead of finishing
around the end of June, he'll finish in mid-April -- of 2018.

:-)

But even using my guess of 5 seconds, it's hardly practical.

Agreed. And those times are even assuming that no mistake is
made in the dialing -- and I can say from experience that mistakes are
easy, and you only know that you mis-dialed when the safe does not open
while it did earlier in the day with the same combination. :-) Since the
odds are great that you would never notice a mis-dialed try, you could
have just skipped over the one combination which works. :-)

Thanks, DoN -- I learned a bit today.

Something which you hopefully will never need to use. :-)

I hope the guy that suggested
"try them all" did too.

If not -- let *him* try them all. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564