Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Home-made air cleaner remake

"Han" wrote in message
Years ago I made an air cleaner from scrap wood, a furnace blower,
variable speed switch, and some 18x24" furnace-type filters. The plans
came from the web, and I apologize for not remembering the author. The
electric motor died recently - aw, shucks. I tried finding a replacement
blower motor, but nothing seemed available locally, and Ebay sellers
wanted too much for a blower (PLUS the SHIPPING!!! It would have been
$125 at least).

Googling around I found what looked like an affordable blower, generally
to be used as a carpet drier fan. It is supposed to be available at Home
Depot or Lowes. HD accepted my on-line order for pickup. I thought I
was set, but the order was cancelled an hour later, no reason given. I
then ordered from Amazon a "Lasko Pro Performance Blower Fan #4900" for
$60, more than the HD price, but available for speedy delivery.

My home-made box has open sides with rabbeted slide-in filter holders.
The whole thing was made for the furnace blower but is now just slightly
too narrow. The filters barely fit on one side, and not quite on the
other. The total dimensions of my box are 25x15x19" L/W/H. Obviously
(see photos), the box could have been shorter and lower, but this is what
I have, and using my existing supply of furnace filters is a plus. The
extra rectangular opening above the blower outlet was for the electric
box with the variable speed switch, now not necessary, because the fan
has off, and 3 speed settings. Plus this thing has extra outlets ...
Obviously the disadvantage of the current setup is that the switch and
outlets are covered up by the filters on that side. Have to find a
solution for that.
I hope this link does go to the 5 photos ...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...57631733124534

--
Best regards
Han

Fasten a lever on the switch with small sheet metal screws then use a rod
that sticks out the side of the unit. You could get fancy so the rod moves
another rotary switch on the outside, too.
--
Jim in NC