Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default extra 3/8 shut off valve for sink faucet?

On Oct 9, 3:44*pm, Abacab
wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/extra-3-8-shut-off-valve-for...

Abacab wrote:
dumbstruck *wrote:
Thank you to those who answered accepting the premise of my
question. I will try some cobbling in series, although it is hard
to buy online because I don't know the terms for what I need. I
don't have good access to local plumbing contractor places...
I just found shutoff valves with threads only on the output end,
but will try more....

--

I doubt you will find a new shutoff valve that will screw directly onto the old seized shutoff valve. This is because the outlet on a shutoff valve is designed to be connected to a pipe/tube, and not to another fitting. Having said that I believe you can achieve what you want by connecting a faucet water supply line (which may be the existing one or a new one) to the old shutoff valve outlet, and then connecting a new shutoff valve to the other end of the supply line. Obviously you will need to match the supply line outlet with the inlet of the new shutoff valve (e.g. a 1/2" MIP/FIP connection).

I have observed this setup on more than one occasion. I believe it is possible to crimp the existing supply line, or use a C-clamp on the existing supply line, to stop the flow of water without shutting off the water to the building.

Would you care to explain this process to me?

The OP has a shut off valve that will not shut off. This valve is half
buried in a wall so he can't easily remove it. He wants to add another
valve in series - outside of the wall - so that he can turn the water
off to one fixture.

Where are you suggesting that he place this C-clamp which will allow
him to accomplish his goal?