Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Things that go "tick" in the night

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
On Oct 8, 8:18 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

stuff snipped

As for noise scaring off rodents permanently, don't believe it. I used to
live next to a discotheque (remember disco?) and despite playing Donna
Summer at floor shaking volume, the place was infested with rats.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex594 says:

Mice can be frightened by unfamiliar sounds or sounds coming from new
locations. However, they soon become accustomed to new sounds and lose

their
fear of them . . .While it is possible to cause permanent physiological
damage to mice with ultrasound, the intensity of such sounds must be so
great that damage to humans or domestic animals would also be likely. For
these reasons, ultrasonic and ultrasound devices are not recommended to
effectively scare away mice.

--
Bobby G.

hear, hear, pardon the pun.

Very punny.

from experience, ultrasonic chirper to keep rodents away - WASTE OF
MONEY!

I though you were one of the Council of Elders. You shouldn't be able to
hear anything in the ultrasonic range.

Hurt MY ears, but still [during one bad infestation] got 12
rats in the victor traps. Yes, I throw away trap and all after
spraying the whole thing and area with Raid flea spray.

Rats care where food is, all other concerns are secondary, it seems. That
damn disco (Tramps, if anyone gives a damn) was empty and dark all day and
the usually nocturnal rats mostly kept to themselves until there was a small
fire and then they poured out of that building like endless clowns from a
clown car. It was like the movie "Willard" where Ernest Borgnine says "Look
at all the rats!" when he sees the floor is just one moving sea of rats.

Wasn't quite that bad or as bad as the granaries filled with mice instead of
grain that I saw on the Croc Hunter. Apparently in boom grain years, the
mouse population in Oz rises beyond what native predators can handle. Once
you've seen a grain bin door open and mice come spilling out you realize the
how much we take for granted in the first world. No more locust plagues, no
cholera, no smallpox. Just a few critters trying to move in with us to keep
warm. (-:

The best hint I've heard about trapping indoor rodents is to follow the
urine/turd trails and place the traps against the wall. Rodents apparently
are thigmatropic - they like to feel their body in contact with the wall
when they move. Roaches, too.

--
Bobby G.