Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Just HOW does one clean a paint brush?

On Oct 8, 5:25*pm, HerHusband wrote:
Robert,

Still get those irritating lines being drawn by the
individual bristles in the brush.

Unlike a self-leveling finish like polyurethane, I don't think you'll ever
avoid the brush marks with most paints. Ironically, some people pay more
for cabinets that have that "hand painted" look (with the brush strokes
instead of mass production spraying).

Anthony Watson
Mountain Softwarewww.mountain-software.com

that is ironic. like 'distressed' finish, or faux finish, which I
refer to as MUCK

Glidden paint is THICK and gooey and even Floetrol hasn't made it
'work' better. Remember the Dunne-Edwards paint didn't leave those
brush lines using the SAME brush [before it was ruined by Glidden]
Something new has been added to this Glidden painting experience. Now
I'm getting allergic reactions to paint fumes from Glidden: nausea,
exhaustion, and painful llymph nodes under arm pits. To me, that's
pretty significant reaction. Only instant rest and hydrating seems to
stop the reaction. Sadly hydrating and resting are opposite.

At least, I don't have to clean the brush out anymore, just hang it in
water and change the water a few times, then use the brush again seems
to work ok. Only problem with that is the brush can't really be used
above your head. The watery stuff runs down the handle.

Dunne-Edwards paint allowed me to joint compound/paint. Then, upon
discovering I didn't like how I did the skim coat or taping I could
sand feather everything and paint again with invisible results. no
lines or junctions showing from previous work. Haven't tried this
with Glidden, but have a premonition [based upon experience with
'cheap' paint that historically did this to me] that Glidden will NOT
allow me to rework these areas. I'll bet the junction lines end up
showing. I'll test an area later and post results.