Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default It's always a puzzle

On 10/9/2012 2:12 PM, Jack wrote:
On 10/7/2012 10:53 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Oct 7, 10:13 am, Casper wrote:

And I picked up this to solve my screw
issues...http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-3...r-Screwdriver/...

`Casper

That is in fact the one I used, minus the removable "wing" attachment.
In my limited experience, I've found that it is sometimes useful and
sometimes an impediment. In this application, it was the latter.

I stupidly bought a Bosch angle drill, http://tinyurl.com/9n7bqjm.
I would have rather had the Milwaukee attachment you guys are using. The
Bosch is big and heavy, and I didn't need another big and heavy drill, I
simply needed a nice, compact attachment like you have.

That's one of the reasons I chose the attachment. Through various
accidents of history I have seven drills already.

Now I have yet
another drill with yet more batteries. Not trashing the Bosch, it's a
fine, but unneeded tool in my case. Also, from the pic, it looks like
yours will fit in a tighter space than the Bosch angle drill.

Perhaps, but it is a two-handed operation. There are always trade-offs.

When I
was buying, I saw a Milwaukee attachment but it was bigger and heavier
than yours, or I would have went with that one.

PS, your "beehive" pic looks more like a hornets nest to me.

I may revise the title. It won't be the first time someone has
"corrected" me on Flickr.

PS2, You don't have hardly any screwdrivers showing, I have close to a
million, they proliferate like rabbits. I don't recall ever buying a
screwdriver, yet...

Strangely, you're the second person to mention that the 25 or so visible
screwdrivers on that board seems an insufficient number. I probably have
at least another 25 in my three portable toolkits, not counting mini
sizes. And in fact, I hardly use any of them. Oh, the multi-driver in my
electrical kit sees some use, and I do have the odd paint can to open,
but otherwise, driving screws with a drill is quite convenient.

PS3, Flex shafts suck, the ones I've used twist into a knot, usually
wrapped around a finger or hand as soon as they face moderate resistance.

I actually got mine to remove the nuts that held on my toilet tank. The
space was tight and the bolts were long and a little corroded. Even
after loosening them the first turn, it was hard to turn them off by
hand. And ratcheting them off 30 degrees at a time for the fifty or so
turns that would be necessary was an unattractive proposition. The flex
shaft (which is also in the photo) and a deep socket made short work of
it. I never even bent down to look at the bottom of the tank, it was
easy enough to do by feel. I've also used the shaft for other purposes.