Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default It's always a puzzle

On 10/8/2012 11:15 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 10/7/2012 5:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

But then again, you could (horrors!) screw then in by hand.

I suppose, but there were 40 of them. Does anyone screw in pocket
screws by hand?

You will learn that pocket hole screws bottom out very quickly
and can spin quite easily. Depending on the wood, finishing with
a ratchet driver is a better choice.

Plywood doesn't always grab the screws like you would expect.

The driver just spins them a little too hard at times.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Despite my relative inexperience with
real woodworking, I have developed a pretty good touch for driving
screws with a drill. I didn't encounter any trouble with either the 40
pocket holes or the 20 or so screws I used to attach the decorative
molding I used for the front panel.

I should add that, as recommended here, I tried the Kreg pocket screws
out for a non-pocket application. They really do grab nicely. In this
case it was the coarse variety.