Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nicad leakage

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 16:13:38 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:

When NiCads leak, what's the best substance to neutralize the spill?

[not NiMh; NiCad...]

Maybe vinegar? The electrolyte is lye (either KOH or NaOH) so a mild
acid should neutralize it. But, it is darn corrosive stuff, so
it will eat many materials pretty quickly.
Jon

The KOH electrolyte is at about 30% concentration for a pH of about
12. Strong stuff, but not really dangerous. Any acid will wash off
the KOH but may leave salts behind. (That's what's left when the KOH
attacks aluminum, tin, brass, bronze, lead, zinc, etc).

For KOH cleanup, the MSDS sheet recommends dilute acetic acid
(vinegar).
http://www.westernu.edu/bin/safety/msds/urc/potasium%20hydroxide.pdf
For cleaning up the salts, I use baking soda, 409 cleaner, or whatever
household cleaner I have handy that evaporates and doesn't leave a
mess.

Note that cadmium is a hazardous waste. Dead NiCd batteries should be
properly disposed of, not mixed with the household trash.

Mo
http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Clean_Leaking_AA_Batteries

Incidentally, the KOH does not enter into the chemical reactions
inside the battery and just acts as a conduit for the ion exchange.
The KOH concentration is the same for a brand new charged NiCd
battery, as it is for an old dead battery.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D