Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default south bend headstock alignment?

Jon Elson wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

asdfasdf wrote:

I have a 10" South Bend lathe (serial RKL) that I'm
having a problem with. I've used it to turn small
pieces until now. I was making a shaft about 5.25"
long and .75 diameter. I kept checking the diameter
and was satisfied at the tailstock end but found that
headstock end was about .008" larger. I am not
using the tailstock so alignment to the tailstock
is not an issue. I have to assume that the headstock
is not aligned with the bed. Does anyone know the
correct procedure to re-align the headstock with the
bed for the given lathe?

The shaft was probably flexing since you were not supporting it with the
tailstock.

Nope, workpiece deflection would make the free end bigger, the headstock end
smaller.

Isn't it possible for the piece to climb a bit if the too is set too far
below center? We're talking what, 0.004" of deflection, not a lot.