Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default whole house surge protectors

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 15:44:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

And the far more common occurence for any
protector is that it will likely see a lot more of the Case A
type surges, because direct or near direct hits
are rare. A direct hit can't even really reach the
surge protector. If it hit the service near where it
enters the house, typically a lot of the energy is
going to go elsewhere, via arcing, leaving only
part of the strike for the surge protector to deal with.

What if your electric service is underground? There are still surges
induced from lighning hitting trees, right? Etc?

My phone service is on poles until 400 or 500 feet from my house,
where it goes underground, but I don't know where the electric does.
,