Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30841 Ignoramus30841 is offline

Default Need to open a DIEBOLD SAFE

On 2012-10-08, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus25258 wrote:
I go to auctions and I often see safes without keys. They have next to
no scrap value, due to concrete between the walls.

Therefore, they usually are free or almost free to take.

I may just buy a couple and try to open them and perhaps shoot a
couple of videos on "how to open a safe with a torch".

Maybe have a look at episode 2 of the British channel 4 programme "Man
Made Home" where they make a home made thermal lance to cut open a safe
to convert to a wood stove. Shame it's not BBC as that doesn't have
commercials and I can't remember whether it was the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
part of the programme that they cut the safe. When you see the result
though it didn't really look like a thermal lance was required just a OA
cutter or plasma might have done as the safe looked to be single skinned
and not that thick but the lance made for good viewing I expect.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/k...me/4od#3415632

A lance is needed to cut through concrete.