Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting trim work

On 10/5/2012 4:30 PM, Larry Grugan wrote:
Going to try to explain the cuts. Looked on Google, obviously I'm not using
the correct search terms.

Here's what I have. A couple of cuts each being 30 degrees. I have a
sliding compound miter box. The trim is 4.5" wide, but they need cut long
ways. Like I have to set the end of trim in long ways instead of cross
ways.

Anyone know of a better way to cut these pieces? They're each about 10'
long, so I could use some pointers how not to screw them up.

Thanks

Larry, it sounds like you may not have every tool that is out there. Be
aware that no saw is capable of these cuts without some jig or aid added
to them. For a one time job you could use a hand saw or a Skil type saw
to cut the boards close and final fit with a plane, belt sander, file,
or sanding block. The cuts are probably longer than your miter saw can
do which is why several are suggesting a table saw, but this would
require making some type of jig or free handing (a common technique, but
NOT recommended for a DIY guy).

If your miter saw looks like it will make the cut, you can cut a scrap
piece at 30*, fasten it to your miter saw table, and use it as the fence
for your piece. and make the cut with the saw set at 90*. Make these
cuts with scrap to test the fit of the angles and work out the safety
issues.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G