Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default south bend headstock alignment?

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:11:12 PM UTC-7, asdfasdf wrote:
I have a 10" South Bend lathe (serial RKL) that I'm having a problem with.. I've used it to turn small pieces until now. I was making a shaft about 5..25" long and .75 diameter. I kept checking the diameter and was satisfied at the tailstock end but found that headstock end was about .008" larger. I am not using the tailstock

Is it possible that the flex of the workpiece caused the issue?
If the tool rake exerts a pull, that'd do it. What orientation
was the cutting edge presenting to the work?