Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Just HOW does one clean a paint brush?

Robert,

In our home we moved into there was left over 2.5 gal
1. how to properly clean a brush

To clean brushes after using water based paints or stains, I simply use a
small container of water. I put a few inches of water in the container,
then swish the brush in a circular motion (pressing against the bottom of
the container, as if painting the bottom of the container). When the water
looks dirty, I dump it, refill with clean water, and repeat as many times
as necessary until the water is no longer dirty from the circular swishing.
Then I take it out in an open area and with an overhand slinging motion I
sling out as much water as possible. Finally, I dry the outside of the
brush with a paper towel, and store it in the original package so it
doesn't dry out.

For oil based stains, polyurethane, etc. I use the same procedure above
except I use mineral spirits instead of water (refer to the "clean up"
instructions on your paint or stain to see which solvent you should use,
most of the time it's mineral spirits).

I have a couple different brushes that have lasted me a few years. But, if
I'm working on a new project, especially polyurethane on a new piece of
furniture, I'll simply go out and buy a new quality brush for the project.

In many cases, such as the final coat of poly on a project, disposable foam
brushes work better than bristle brushes anyway.

In your case, I'm better the old paint was causing problems more than the
brush cleaning techniques.

Take care,

Anthony Watson
Mountain Software