Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default south bend headstock alignment?

"asdfasdf" wrote in message
On 10/6/2012 9:14 PM, Pete C. wrote:
asdfasdf wrote:

I have a 10" South Bend lathe (serial RKL) that I'm
having a problem with. I've used it to turn small
pieces until now. I was making a shaft about 5.25"
long and .75 diameter. I kept checking the diameter
and was satisfied at the tailstock end but found that
headstock end was about .008" larger.

No I checked that pretty well. I blued the part after the cut
and ran the cutter down the length. It scribed a light line down
the length and never put any pressure on the tool. I took very
light cuts and had a great finish with no chatter. I took maybe
a couple of thousandths off the last pass. I'm pretty sure it's
misaligned.

RKL means unhardened, right? My 10L is an RKX with hard ways.
Could they be worn at the head end enough to shift the carriage?
jsw