Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Finished Deck

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 07:55:29 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

Old Deck was rotten, and wobbly.
Railing were failing.
Stairs shot.
Also railing blocked view from interior windows.
I lowered the deck and modified the stairs.
Got rid of the built in planters from the old deck.
Making new plant stands, and small bench possible.

Your work is very nice, but I don't like the design. If I'm looking
at it correctly, you have to go up and down four steps every time you
go in and out.

I hope your client is relatively young, healthy, and has no arthritis
yet. When we have dinner on the deck, it takes a few trips to bring
out the food, dishes, access the grill, etc. Four steps would make it
useless for us. Do you want to carry a tray of drinks using two hands
down four steps?

OTOH, the old deck was pretty ugly and a better rail design is needed.
Not sure of code, but as some lower height no rail is needed so it
would offer a better view. Looks like there was a step or two on the
old deck. I'd have raised, not lowered it. My deck is 8' off the
ground.

Hope you are not offended, but it is an honest opinion and may be
helpful to others contemplating a similar project. Think about what
your knees may be like in a few years.