Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outa here for awhile

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2012-10-06, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I have some crap tools, but I didn't buy them. They were in the
bottom of free boxes of junk electronics I picked up for parts. Early
Japanese imports that make everything at HF look like they are made for
top notch machinists. One of these days I'll dig them out & take
photos.

I remember those days. Drill bits made of "butter steel" and
the like.

But the Japanese (who probably already had really good tools for
use in their own industries) were making really nice precision cameras
and such back then.

So -- there may be hope for the Chinese and even the Indian
tools over time.

Some of their hardware is already fairly good. The rest has a ways to
go, but they seem to be making progress.