Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whole house surge protectors

On Oct 5, 10:32*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:12:30 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

How do you install it without an additional circuit breaker?
gfretw indicated that you could do that if an existing breaker has
terminals that are listed for and allow double tapping, but
in my experience that is not a breaker that you typically
find in a home panel.

You can wire them to the same lugs that hold the main wires coming in,
or you can get a lug kit that is used when you add a secondary box.

Interesting, I didn't know that connectors like the ILSCO KUPLER IPC
4/0-#6
that taps into the service conductors existed or were allowed. Some
questions:

I've never used a lug kit. I take it that goes on the panel some
place that
does not take up a breaker slot and is typically used to then feed a
subpanel? So, in this case they use it to feed the SS.

If you use the Kupler approach and tap the service conductors
before the main breaker, you then have the SS connected
directly without any breaker. The instructions say this is OK,
but does it depend on where the SS is physically mounted?
Say I mount it next to the panel, as is frequently done. Then
I have it and the wires running between that Kupler and the SS
with no breaker protection, no disconnect, including no main breaker.
Is that allowed? I sure would not do that in my house when
there are other ways to do it.