Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone know how to bore a spiral hole?

Nick wrote:
As part of an installation an artist friend has asked me if I could
bore a spiral hole of about 1" dia endways through a seasoned
hardwood log. Log would be about 14" dia (ish) and about 3ft long.
Dia of the spiral not too important but minimum about 3" OD. It is
important to the artist that the spiral be contained entirely within
the log. She will not encounter through drilling and plugging. I've
done some oddball stuff for this lady over the last thirty years but
this one has me stumped. She only asked me a couple of hours back and
no doubt I'll be pondering for days. Hence this post. The final product
would be only a minor component of the whole which
is intended to have a practical and useful purpose. On this I am
sworn to secrecy. I can say that there will also be a ballista type
machine involved in the apparutus and the intention is saving, rather
than taking, of life. The project is somewhat W. Heath Robinson, but
it is food for thought. I'm in England and have always had a great love
for WHR's designs.

I know the above is daft but (1) the only daft question is the one
that you don't ask and (2) anything is possible.

You are not a pioneer. Rifling gun barrels has been going on since the
mid-1800's. Check that subject.

You may have, however, an easier way out; ballistas did not have rifled
barrels. In fact most did not have barrels at all.