Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default whole house surge protectors

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:02:10 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

They are dirt-simple to install. If your hand fits a screwdriver, you should
be good to go, assuming you have or can borrow a screwdriver.

But how do we know what type of screw driver? There are the tapered
ones that can be used as a chisel and digger, and there are the cute
cross ones for chopping ice.

I have one on each of my two electrical panels. They cost $55 & $75. I got
one at Home Depot and forgot where I got the other.

Most are in the $200 range. How do they differ from the lower priced
ones? Or don't they, aside from price.

I bet they are just being conservative, but the ratings are not any better.
One thing I see on mine, the trip voltage is lower than others.

When I moved in, power company said if I wanted to keep the installed meter
suppressor, I would have to pay so much per month. Question is, did they
remove it. Knowing the old owners of the house, I can't believe they would
pay for something like that.

Greg