Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Grugan Larry Grugan is offline

Default Cutting trim work

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Larry Grugan" wrote in
:

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 17:30:21 -0400, "Larry Grugan"
wrote:

Going to try to explain the cuts. Looked on Google, obviously I'm not
using
the correct search terms.

Here's what I have. A couple of cuts each being 30 degrees. I have a
sliding compound miter box. The trim is 4.5" wide, but they need cut
long ways. Like I have to set the end of trim in long ways instead of
cross ways.

Anyone know of a better way to cut these pieces? They're each about
10' long, so I could use some pointers how not to screw them up.

Thanks

I'm not exactingly sure of what you're describing. I'm thinking you
need to make a 60 degree cut to make which may require setting up
some sort of temporary support and/or fence.

First, make test cuts on some scrap so you don't screw up the good
stuff.

Second, the cut may end up being 59-1/2 degrees or something other
than 60 degrees because nothing in the house is exactly what it
should be. Another reason for using scrap.

Third, once you're sure of the angle, cut it and install it.

I need set end grain into the saw, not cross cut it. It will be a
loooong cut.

What you're trying to do is dangerous (yea, we all do summa dat).

How many cuts? If not too many, a jig with even a hand saw. Low human
damage rate.

Four cuts. It's cherry trim, don't believe a jig saw would provide the
finish appearance needed. I'm replacing trim, which sits on top of
stringers and meets other trim work. Someone had made the cuts b/4 out of
oak, just don't know how they went about it.