Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Cutting trim work

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 17:30:21 -0400, "Larry Grugan"
wrote:

Going to try to explain the cuts. Looked on Google, obviously I'm not using
the correct search terms.

Here's what I have. A couple of cuts each being 30 degrees. I have a
sliding compound miter box. The trim is 4.5" wide, but they need cut long
ways. Like I have to set the end of trim in long ways instead of cross
ways.

Anyone know of a better way to cut these pieces? They're each about 10'
long, so I could use some pointers how not to screw them up.

Thanks

I'm not exactingly sure of what you're describing. I'm thinking you
need to make a 60 degree cut to make which may require setting up some
sort of temporary support and/or fence.

First, make test cuts on some scrap so you don't screw up the good
stuff.

Second, the cut may end up being 59-1/2 degrees or something other
than 60 degrees because nothing in the house is exactly what it should
be. Another reason for using scrap.

Third, once you're sure of the angle, cut it and install it.