Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default whole house surge protectors

wrote:

Eaton is a reputable major manufacturer of electrical
eqpt. Intermatic is another I would recommend. I
would get one rated for at least 20K Amps per phase.
A whole house protector should run $100-150. You
typically need an additional double pole breaker, ~$20,
and as that friend pointed out, if you don't have an empty
slot that will increase the cost. It should take an hour
to install, assuming everything else is in order.

There are a number on Amazon for under $100. You do not need an additional
circuit breaker (usually).

They are dirt-simple to install. If your hand fits a screwdriver, you should
be good to go, assuming you have or can borrow a screwdriver.

I have one on each of my two electrical panels. They cost $55 & $75. I got
one at Home Depot and forgot where I got the other.