Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3phase motor running on one phase

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:23:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 5, 3:54*pm, h200 wrote:
Hi.

My question would be, how to calculate maximum horsepower or KW used by
3 phase motor, if he is be connected to 220 / 50 HZ - 8KW source ?

Can he run on half of the power or maybe 6 - 7kw ?

Regards !

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

A three phase motor can be run on a single phase and will deliver
about 2/3 the power it would have on three phase. And you can do this
without any variable frequency drive. But you have to have a way to
get the three phase motor to rotate.

I would not recommend using a VFD to run a three phase motor. I
suspect it would ruin the VFD and maybe also the motor. Depends on
how fast the circuit breaker acts.

Do some searches on " phase converter.

Dan.

Dan, you know better. VFD drives are almost exclusively used to run
three phase motors. Perhaps responding to political posts has warped
your mind. Or maybe you are just "taking the ****" as folks say on the
other side of the pond.
Eric