Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default whole house surge protectors

This is after reading and talking to others, I'm thinking about this.
I'm not very educated on electricity so I wonder 2 things right away.
What brands are good for whole house protection and how do I know how
much protection I need? Can I just go by the amperage in the circuit
panel (main circuit breaker) ? One person gave me a brand called
Eaton and told me depending on model (Ultra being the best and most
expensive) from maybe $250 to $500 but said it could be more if I
don't have a spare circuit breaker to wire into. Suggestions
welcome.