Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default electric clothes dryer

" wrote:

A surge protector for a high-current appliance (like an electric
clothes dryer) is not something that I think would be cost
effective as it would be for something like a TV, stereo or
computer.

Of course not, because as usual, you're clueless. It has
nothing to do with the current the device draws.

How much is a surge protector for an appliance that uses 40 amps @ 220
volts vs a surge protector for an appliance that uses 5 amps @ 120
volts?

A better solution would be to trip the breaker supplying power
to your dryer (or unplug the dryer if conveinent) when you're
not using it - or at least when you know a thunderstorm is
approaching.

How about you're not home when the thunderstorm is
approaching? Or sleeping?

Then you'll pay through the nose for the repair of your appliance when
it gets zapped by lightning because you were too ****ing lazy or
clueless to know that by applying the effort of a few micro-calories you
could have prevented the dammage in the first place.

Or it's a surge from something other than a
thunderstorm?

Maybe the power system in your area is as stable as in some third-world
countries, but where I live it's very rare that a system-fault will
cause a surge bad enough to dammage appliances.

Lightning by far causes the most electrical dammage to consumer
products.