Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default electric clothes dryer

Doug wrote:

I had a service guy tell me that sometimes electr. boards fail
inside the dryer due to electrical spikes.

True.

If it is true, can you buy a surge protector just for the clothes
dryer? Thoughts on this...

A surge protector for a high-current appliance (like an electric clothes
dryer) is not something that I think would be cost effective as it would
be for something like a TV, stereo or computer.

A better solution would be to trip the breaker supplying power to your
dryer (or unplug the dryer if conveinent) when you're not using it - or
at least when you know a thunderstorm is approaching.

I live in a some-what lightning-prone area, and I unplug many electronic
devices in my home (and trip a few breakers) when I know a thunderstorm
is coming.