Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default electric clothes dryer

Doug wrote:
I had a service guy tell me that sometimes electr. boards fail inside
the dryer due to electrical spikes. I wondered if this was BS
because this is a 220 appliance and I didn't think they are as
sensitive to such things. If it is true, can you buy a surge
protector just for the clothes dryer? Thoughts on this...

Hi,
Sorry to say that your idea is baseless and funny. Board has protection
circuit built-in but when powerful surge(spike) comes down, anythng can
get damaged no matter what protection you have. I often see board
failures caused by heat due to under-rated cheap component or cold
solder joint(s). Repairing is not easy because they use ASIC in
many cases which is difficult to obtain.