Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.mobile,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Using mobile phone as an internet radio

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 22:21:26 +0100, "jim stone"
wrote:

Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got mobile
phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an
internet radio.

Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it to
play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and speakers.

Several of my customers do exactly the same thing. Some play stored
MP3/AAC music, while others stream from Pandora or Slacker. Most use
an iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, or Droid A855 for the wi-fi connectivity.
All have the phone plugged into a charger. No fatalities.

Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering if
this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its working
life ?

It won't hurt the phone in any way. However, the internal battery is
another story. For Li-Ion, battery life is shortened when the battery
is hot, and when it's left at full charge all the time. For details,
see:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Most Li-ions are charged to 4.20V/cell and every reduction
of 0.10V/cell is said to double cycle life.
This is not much of a problem for easily replaceable inexpensive
batteries, such as in the Droid A855, but might be an issue with the
designed obsolescent iPhone series, where brain surgery is required to
replace the battery. Apple has therefore wisely elected to charge
their Li-Ion batteries to 4.1v or what I estimate to be 95% of full
capacity. This greatly extends the battery life and will delay when
you start cursing Apple products to about 3 years.
http://stephenwmoore.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/iphone-battery-life/

Someone mentioned having a phone with a dead wi-fi. I have two Apple
3G iPhones, both with intermittent wi-fi sections. If I turn the
power off on the iPhone for a day, the iPhones will have a working
wi-fi section for about 30 minutes. I also have a third working
iPhone 3G, where the wi-fi has never failed. I've been inside trying
to repair them, and failed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D