Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Just HOW does one clean a paint brush?

clipped
I know the SOB would argue about it though. Always roll if you can,
but sometimes you need a brush. I've got 6-7 hanging on pegs. One
good pig bristle is hard inside, so I don't always follow my own
advice. I'll toss it. When I painted more with oil I had 2 covered
coffee cans of thinner under a workbench for a 2-step brush cleaning
process. BTW, if allowed to set a few days, that dirty thinner will
get crystal clear and you can pour it into a new can. Toss the old
can with the settled paint.

Lots of good advice. I used to suspend brush in coffee can of mineral
spirits...cut an "X" in the plastic lid, stick brush handle up through
the "X", put enough m.s. in can to keep bristles wet. For overnight it
is good for keeping the paint solvent and out of ferrule. I've re-used
m.s. many times, using your method, for clean-up. Works great for paint
remover (first coats) until p.r. becomes too thick to spread.

I've used paint remover to get old, hard paint out of brushes (not good
brushes). If nothing else, I can use the brush for junk or for paint
removal. Chip brushes have gotten expensive )