Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Just HOW does one clean a paint brush?

On Oct 3, 7:46*pm, nestork wrote:
Robert:
...sinp a WEALTH of information! ...
So, spraying some PnB dissolved in water on dried latex paint would
soften the paint, and allow it to self level again as the PnB and water
evaporated.

This spray was a miracle. I went from cursing and swearing and
applying the latex so thick that it destroyed any details under the
paint to being able to come back the next day and 'correct' things I
didn't like - from drip run not noticed to "I didn't notice those
brush strokes in that light until now" removal.

I started using it on everything. When I did a 15 x 18 ft hardwood
floor with oil based finish, I could actually wet n dry sand using the
spray as a 'wetting' compound and a single sheet of 220 was all it
took for the whole floor, plus somehow the spray hardened the finish,
so you could do 3 coats in less than a week.

I used the spray for wet n dry sanding the painted finish on a wood
wall, and made it seriously look as smooth as formica. Then the wood
grain would subtlely start to reacquire and the effect was
exceptional.

Thanks for letting me know Walmart carries it. We have one less than 2
miles away, but they seem to have limited product selections, but I
can order and pick up there! Also need Affresh Stainles Steel Cleaner,
so now two products to get.

2. What was that cottage cheeze stuff?
Next time, don't use any detergent when washing out your brush. *What
I'm thinking is that those blobs of cottage cheeze were the coalescing
solvent in your primer/paint mixing with the detergent you used to clean
the brush with.
(I'm also presuming that this was softened water from your city's water
supply system and not hard water from a well that you were using to
clean the brush.)

Possibly true on BOTH counts.

Next time I will NOT use detergent and will soak brush in distilled
water.

Distilled water is a 'miracle' product, too. I can lean our bathroom
mirrors [covered with those tiny splatters] in 20 seconds. Now do our
house windows in less than a minute each. Ms. Macy hates stainles
steel kitchen appliances and has delegated that to me, I found that
using cheap paper towels [the kind with NO additives] and spray
distilled water allows me to wipe dry the surfaces leaving them streak
free!

PS: *Why do you need an industrial solvent in latex paint?

...snip another wealth of information!...

I'm saving this posting in mny construction articles.

Two other thoughts came to mind
1. Will there be a test next Friday?
2. We don't want to learn too much else my head will explode - Calivn
and Hobbes

Thank you again for the wealth of solid information.

Regards,
Robert