Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default No moral justification for a graduated income tax structure

On 10/3/2012 1:18 PM, George Plimpton wrote:

I can't believe you would expect a robust recovery after the worst
recession in our history. But that does tell me that you don't have a
very strong grasp about economics or about history.

You have no grasp of either.

You're wrong as usual.

Why *wouldn't* the recovery be strong? And where in the hell do you get
the idea that this is the "worst" recession in our history, and
according to what criteria? GDP declined 5.1%; it was down 12.7% in the
recession of 1945 and down 18.2% in Roosevelt's recession of 1937. The
most recent recession - which has been *OVER* for more than three years
- was one of the longest, but not by much: a year and six months, vs. a
year and four months for both the 1973-75 and early 1980s recessions.
National unemployment hit 10%, vs. 10.8% in the early 1980s (which was
necessary to choke off Jimmy Carter's runaway inflation.)

Take it up with the experts, bonehead.

But forget about all that - why *wouldn't* the recovery be strong? The
strength of the recovery, in fact, is usually *greater* when the
recession is deeper.

Yeah, way back when recessions were just due to over production and
there was no global trade.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about on any of this. You've
never studied business cycles. You don't know your flabby doughy ass
from your acne-scarred face.

I get the idea this is the worst recession since the great depression
from places like this. It's very easy to find. Here's a report from 2009
saying it's the worst recession since the depression.

Aug. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The first 12 months of the U.S. recession saw
the economy shrink more than twice as much as previously estimated,
reflecting even bigger declines in consumer spending and housing,
revised figures showed.
The world’s largest economy contracted 1.9 percent from the fourth
quarter of 2007 to the last three months of 2008, compared with the
0.8 percent drop previously on the books, the Commerce Department said
yesterday in Washington. Gross domestic product has shrunk 3.9 percent
in the past year, the report said, indicating the worst slump since the
Great Depression.

Now tell me how it is I'm wrong.

Hawke