Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky micky is offline

Default Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:42:04 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 02:12:18 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:56:21 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:07:48 -0400, micky
wrote:

Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
Camry Solara convertible to test it.

I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show
google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable
trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina.
The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open.
Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment.

No change planned there. I did check if the weight of the solenoid
made the turnk lid fall down and it didn't. Later I think I read in
their owners or shop manual something about some named weight not
affecting balance.

My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he
rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6"
with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a
gust of wind could bring it down on your head.
He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across
them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there.
Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time.
Don't know for sure.

Well, actualy my previous car, a Lebaron, didnt' move at all when the
remote or the key unlatched the trunk. I sort of liked that. I
coudl put the lid down without locking it and no one noticed it wasnt'
locked. When I had to replace a support strut, I only did one, so it
wouldn't go up when unlocked.

This car maybe the turnk lid moves a tenth of an inch. When it's
sitting there, I don't think anyone would notice that it's open.
That's especially important because in 2000, since there was only a
mechanical turnk release, there is no spare channel on the remote,
and I'll be connecting the trunk solenoid to a relay that is connected
to the right door unlock wire. So every time I unlock the right hand
door, except maybe when I use the lever inside the car it will unlock
and unlatch the trunk. So it's good that it doesn't pop up. I
thought about getting a newerr remote receiver and some 4-button
remotes, but I didnt' find any receivers in junk yards and new it
would be a lot of money.

Thanks,

Micky

Just add a second receiver and use a separate remote for the trunk

That is so un-chic, but you make a good point.