Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Just HOW does one clean a paint brush?

On Oct 3, 7:45*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
touching up. I watched pros how they clean their brushes which gave some
pointers.

I used to work for a professional house painter, back when a brush was
FAST! During a job, he simply stored any brush in the freezer
overnight and only cleaned once when done. His brushes were HEAVY
when loaded with paint and cost in today's dollars $100+ but he could
paint a whole house one coat in one day, then do the second coat the
next day. with a lot less prep required than for spraying.

Of course he was a 'true' painter - covered in paint! As he watched
me dip my brush, wipe the brush, and then paint and paint a small
area, he used to laugh at me and ask, "Why don't you paint the house
just once?" and "Why do you put the paint back in the bucket and not
up on the house?" All good advice actually. His fast technique was to
dip his brush [no wipe off excess]. draw an X on a spot, and feather
in with a single stroke, and move on. Three strokes to do about one
square foot, as he moved along the house. hmmm 2500 sqft as slow as
10 seconds a sqft, comes to 4 hours. seems about right, whole house
one day. He had ME do the tedious trim.