Posted to alt.home.repair

Default winter time heat Revisited

For the 2003 ice storm, and four day power cut. We didn't know how long the
power would be out. Even with kerosene heater and burners on the stove, the
trailer was really miserable cold by the second day. Day 3 or 4, I wired the
furnace into my generator. The natural gas had stayed on, the whole time.
Furnace was far more comfortable than portable heaters. Needed the fan
action, to bring the heat down from the ceiling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

For a cold weather outage, I have 2 20k BTU of kerosene heaters.
Really got them for the garage for winter work, but they burn pretty
clean. The gas range burners put about 16k BTU total. Pretty sure
the oven won't light without juice.

Still haven't bought one, but ventless gas space heaters run about
$200-300 for 30k BTU or so.

If I don't procrastinate on that I'll put a T, valve and flex hose on
the gas range line and tuck the hose behind. Connect the space heater
if I need it. The range line is 3/4" and will easily handle
everything.