Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Generators Revisited

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I'm not sure about start current. Most of the refrig I've measured, run
about 4 to 5 amps, under load. Defrost can be 3 to 6 amps, been a while
since I measured one.

I measured with killowatt. I thought they drew more, like 6 amps. Even my
old 70's fridge is only about 2.5 amps. My newer 90's will draw 12-13 amps
on defrost, or 1500 watts. Killowatt will also measure true power.

Greg

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"gregz" wrote in message

I've got a Kill-a-Watt, but haven't really used it. Time to start that.
It scares me that starting current for a fridge would be more than twice
nominal current. I have to look what kind of circuit breaker the fridge
is on. How long would the peak startup amps be required, since the
circuit breaker doesn't blow.

Likely be 3-6 times normal current. Normal current should be 1.5- 2.5 amps.
Defrost mode is what consumes higher steady current, and the compressor is
off.

Greg