Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default lead bullet making

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 15:41:10 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 9/30/2012 6:58 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I thought about just emailing the RCM premier expert on bullet
casting, but maybe somebody else has something to add.

Ammo prices are climbing outa sight. So i want to get into casting my
own 9mm and .308. My interest peaked when I learned my 1919 and MG42
will eat unplated bullets. I always knew the Uzis and Suomis would eat
anything.

What all equipment will I need? What should i expect to spend to make
10K of each bullet? (If i can't break even at 10K, I'll keep buying
from Berry and Pats)

Karl

I think you won't want to go through what it will take to get your 7.62
to drive tacks with lead. For the cost, I think you will be FAR better
off in both money and TIME by buying jacketed slugs. For $13/100 or
$355/3,000 go he

There are better prices out there. Particularly if one can use 149gr
slugs

http://hi-techammo.com/hitech.zkb?ro...1&object-menu6

Pistol ammo is much more cost effective. If you only want 9mm, I'll
cast them for you...we could trade for apples.

Anyone got a "user" Garand they dont need anymore that I could swap
for machinery or Stuff?

Sold my last one a couple years ago when the economy went into the
toilet after the surgery..and Im missing not having one around.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli