Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula[_2_] Hugo Nebula[_2_] is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

[Default] On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 00:30:43 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Fredxx , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

On 01/10/2012 21:15, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:48:23 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Nightjar , randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

As I read The Building Act 1984 it is not actually a legal requirement
to comply with the Building Regulations. The Act merely gives the Local
Authority the right, within a limited period of time, to take
enforcement action against someone who has breached them, which is not
the same thing. I would therefore conclude that failing to comply with
the Building Regulations is unlawful, but not illegal.

In the same way, I would conclude that my breaking into your house is
unlawful but not illegal, if the police/CPS don't charge me- "it's not
a crime if you don't get caught".

Is your argument that you can get a criminal record for fitting the
wrong size doors as well as breaking and entering?

Theoretically, yes. The differences are about the chances of
detection, the likelihood of an action being brought, the level of
fines, etc.

In which I case I think you're rather mistaken.

IANAL; are you?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?