Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_43_] Bill[_43_] is offline

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

In article 994195072370824073.403230teamarrows-
, says...

Bill wrote:
I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw
and arbor for this one hole...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need
to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on
a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be
a LOT more expensive that what you would save
not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

You would rent scaffolding to cut one hole? Having never rented
scaffolding, my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just call a
contractor and have him/her cut the hole.

Yes and I would rent a bucket truck to saw off one branch of a tree if
that was the safe way to do it. Businesses will rent a man lift to
replace one burned out light bulb if they have a high ceiling lobby.

Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect
themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye
protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if
they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.

The general idea is to not get injured while working - even if drilling
"just one hole" or sawing "just one branch".

I know a guy who fell off a ladder and is now a paraplegic - rides
around in a wheel chair.

Ladder injuries and ladder safety...
http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/...ty/default.asp