Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Noisy gutters in the sun

I think I can trace this back to when I had the gutters cleaned in the
Spring. Could be that the whole thing has started to move differently after
the weight of crap was taken out.
Brian

Email:

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:58:19 +0100, soup wrote:

Oil them. The clips onto the soffit should allow the thermal expansion
of the gutters . Do not glue them to the gutter as the gutter will want
to expand, it can't if glued, so the gutter will buckle .
Lubricate the clip/gutter interface. The recent increase in volume
could be caused by the sun heating the gutter more (is it black because
it needs cleaning)or due to any previous lubrication becoming worn out
over time. Oil is being a bit flippant perhaps silicone or similar.

JOOI, is each section of gutter normally anchored firmly to the roof
bracket along the mid-point of its length? Our gutters are made from 16'
sections, and the total expansion is probably a good inch or so - but
then when it cools and they contract again, they don't necessarily end up
back at their starting point (and so have an occasional tendency to creep
or start leaking at one of the joints).

cheers

Jules