Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
Tim+ wrote:

polygonum wrote:
On 01/10/2012 21:07, Hugo Nebula wrote:

In order: a) No it's not. b) Disabled access isn't ********.

Absolutely agreed it is not ********. But what I have come to realise
forcefully is that it is very one-dimensional.

Indeed. Our downstairs loo is tiny and narrow. Utterly useless for
anyone in a wheelchair but actually much easier for my late father who had
severe balance and mobility problems as he could use the walls and sink
for
support. In a bigger room he would have needed more assistance.

Tim

My loo is in an alcove in our small bathroom, meaning to the right is an
external wall corner and to the left is the door opening, both just forward
of the loo and about a foot away.

When I had my hernias fixed and all forms of abdominal muscle contraction
(eg standing up, getting out of bed) hurt like a mother f*** bitch from
hell, I was indeed extremely grateful for those two grab points.

Now I know what it feels like to be decrepid - but not anymore thankfully
Does make you appreciate good health.

Indeed it does. I think those who dream up the wrong regs should spend a
few weeks in a chair. I did after a serious accident certainly makes you
think of practical things differently!...

--
Tony Sayer