Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air conditioners

On Oct 1, 4:15*pm, Dottie wrote:
I have a 6-yr. old Trane air conditioner. *Last year I had a problem with it and spent over $1000 - replaceing the coolant in it. *I think the same thing is happening again and I am reluctant to spend more money to fix it. *One reason is that I read stories about the newer model air conditioners used a different kind of coolant that is much cheaper. *Does anyone have any experience with this? *What brand is best? *Or does a lot depend on who installs it? *I don't know if there has been anything recent in Consumer Reports -- would have to make a trip to the library and look because I don't take it. *Appreciate any "been there, done that advice". *this is a major expense ...

I am guessing that this is a central air unit and not a window unit,
but it would be nice to be more specific.