Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Washer-dryer: "anti-flooding system"

On 2012-10-01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
The washer-dryer stopped working this morning & displayed an error
code for which the manual says, "Anti-flooding system has
activated. Disconnect the appliance and contact the service centre."

There's no sign of water leakage anywhere; the towels had gone through
the filling & heating-up stages, but not been fully washed. The
machine is still under warranty, but I'm curious as to how an
"anti-flooding system" works, & whether the technician is just going
to press a secret "reset" button tomorrow.

I've seen two technologies referred to as flood prevention:

A large tray across the bottom of the system with a float in the
middle, which catches any leaks, and the float triggers an
emergency shutdown, which abandons the cycle and pumps out the
water. Reset in this case consists of draining the water out of
the tray using sponges or tipping the machine, so the float drops
back to normal position. (Don't tip the machine to empty the tray
unless you are sure you aren't tipping the water into something
electrical.) If the machine is left unused for some time after
leaking, the tray can dry up by itself, but crud left behind if
the water was dirty can prevent the float dropping down by itself.

That's the one. The technician found enough water in the bottom to
trip the float, but couldn't make it leak. (There are some secret
ctrl-alt-F1-type combinations that do diagnostic things like spin as
fast as possible with water running in.) He thinks I put too much
detergent in on the 95° cycle & filled the drum with foam so the rinse
water overflowed from the inlet.