Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone release agent?

charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:
At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that
this has involved squirting a big
bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window
until it goes off. Good (if
temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right
shape. Once cured, the silicone stays
on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but
they must have used some release
agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when
silicone spray is so slippery?

silicone is a term used for may different things

All it really means is 'an organic compound containing silicon atoms'

Is that "organic" as in "no chemicals have been used in growing this" ?

:-)
No. that's 'organic as in also containing carbon atoms and hydrogen ones'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.