Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door widths - too narrow?

Fredxx wrote:

On 01/10/2012 21:15, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:48:23 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Nightjar , randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

As I read The Building Act 1984 it is not actually a legal requirement
to comply with the Building Regulations. The Act merely gives the Local
Authority the right, within a limited period of time, to take
enforcement action against someone who has breached them, which is not
the same thing. I would therefore conclude that failing to comply with
the Building Regulations is unlawful, but not illegal.

In the same way, I would conclude that my breaking into your house is
unlawful but not illegal, if the police/CPS don't charge me- "it's not
a crime if you don't get caught".

Is your argument that you can get a criminal record for fitting the
wrong size doors as well as breaking and entering?

In which I case I think you're rather mistaken.

The only bit of that side I know of is that "failure to notify" (for
building regs purposes) is a non indictable offense which means magistrates
court, limited gaol/fine and limited time to bring a presecution.

I am not sure if that means it is a "criminal offence" - anyone comment?

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/